Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Show #32: Belle Fourche, SD

Belle Fourche Area Community Center
March 7, 2006

Piano du jour: 5’ Weber, bright and responsive

I had thought about going to Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse today, but I’ve seen them several times before, and my lovely hotel room was just too inviting. Tim, Jody and I went out late in the morning for breakfast. Deadwood is an odd little town stuck at the bottom of a very steep valley. There is some old 19th century architecture that survives, but it's all mixed in with so many ugly, more modern buildings.

We drove the half hour to Belle Fouche for our show this evening. There's been a universal response from locals who have asked where we were performing. "Belle Fouche," we'd say. Every time there'd be rolling of the eyes, or a "yikes." So I wasn't expecting much. The town, or at least what we saw of it, was pretty ugly, and far enough away from the Black Hills so there was no scenery around either. Belle Fouche's one claim to fame is that it is the town closest to the geographical center of the 50 states.

It's hard to believe that we only have one show left. At times it feels like we've been on the road forever, and at other times it seems like we just got started. But the closer we get, I can't wait to get home. To be back with family and friends, to sleep in my own bed, to be surrounded by my stuff, to sit on my sofa and watch TiVo... just two days away!

Hotel: AmericInn

All photos © David Lohman, 2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home