Monday, March 06, 2006

Day Off

● March 6th

Ann and I took advantage of our day off, borrowed the van this morning and headed off for the Badlands National Park.

Others were going to join us, but when push came to shove, staying in bed won out for the rest. Oh, what a day they missed!

The Badlands are so starkly beautiful.

The last time I was out here was a couple of years before my father's death. He, my sister Jeanne and I came out to the Black Hills in order to hike up to the top of the Crazy Horse Monument - something you're allowed to do once a year in every June. We drove straight through the night, pulled into the Badland while it was still dark, and waited to watch the sunrise. Beautiful!

We had some good wildlife viewing too... buffalo, mule deear, bighorn sheep and prairie dogs.

On the way back, we stopped at Wall. Ann had never experienced the famed Wall Drug, and how could I deprive her of that thrill?

Here there are... Annie and Annie Oakley.

Thanks, Ann, for a truly wonderful day!

All photos © David Lohman, 2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home